Before You Move
Six to Eight Weeks Before
- Use up things that may be difficult to move, such as frozen food.
- Get estimates from professional movers or from truck rental companies if you are moving yourself.
- Once you’ve selected a mover, discuss insurance, packing, loading and delivery, and the claims procedure.
- Sort through your possessions. Decide what you want to keep, what you want to sell and what you wish to donate to charity.
- Record serial numbers on electronic equipment, take photos (or video) of all your belongings and create an inventory list.
- Change your utilities, including phone, power and water, from your old address to your new address.
- Obtain a change of address packet from the post office and send to creditors, magazine subscription offices and catalog vendors.
- Discuss tax-deductible moving expenses with your accountant and begin keeping accurate records.
Two to Four Weeks Before
- If you’re moving to a new community, contact the Chamber of Commerce and school district and request information about services.
- Make reservations with airlines, hotels and car rental agencies, if needed.
- If you are moving yourself, use your inventory list to determine how many boxes you will need.
- Begin packing nonessential items.
- Arrange for storage, if needed.
- If you have items you don’t want to pack and move, hold a yard sale.
- Get car license, registration and insurance in order.
- Transfer your bank accounts to new branch locations. Cancel any direct deposit or automatic payments from your accounts if changing banks.
- Make special arrangements to move pets, and consult your veterinarian about ways to make travel comfortable for them.
- Have your car checked and serviced for the trip.
- Collect items from safe-deposit box.
One Week Before
- Talk to your pharmacist about transferring important medical prescriptions.
- Arrange for a babysitter on moving day.
- Return library books and DVDs.
Two to Three Days Prior
- Defrost your refrigerator and freezer.
- Have movers pack your belongings.
- Label each box with the contents and the room where you want it to be delivered.
- Arrange to have payment ready for moving company.
- Set aside legal documents and valuables that you do not want packed.
- Pack clothing and toiletries, along with extra clothes in case the moving company is delayed.
- Give your travel itinerary to a close friend or relative so they can reach you as needed.
- Pick up the truck as early as possible if you are moving yourself.
- Make a list of every item and box loaded on the truck.
- Let the mover know how to reach you.
- Double-check closets, cupboards, attic, basement and garage for any left behind items.
- Be on hand at the new home to answer questions and give instructions to the mover.
- Check off boxes and items as they come off the truck.
- Install new locks.
- Confirm that the utilities have been turned on and are ready for use.
- Unpack your “first day” box (see below for suggested contents).
- Unpack children’s toys and find a safe place for them to play.
- Examine your goods for damage.
Essential Packing Materials
- furniture pads
- handtruck or dolly
- packing tape
- bubble wrap
Handy Items Include
Pack a “first day” box with items you’ll need right away.
- utility knife
- local phone book
- coffee cups
- newspapers or packing paper
- utility knife
- instant coffee or tea, soft drinks
- pencil and paper
- bath towels
- trash bags
- felt-tip markers
- cornstarch packing “peanuts”
- plenty of boxes
- shelf liner
- paper plates
- toilet paper
- children’s toys and books